Saturday, April 3, 2010

It's My Bar Of Chocolate!



I'm having a Veruca Salt moment. All I want is to read a paper in Cognition, but the dirty bastards at Elsevier have locked it up behind a big dirty wall. Having left the sweet comfort of The University, my greatest frustration is not having access to papers and data that I used to take for granted. This is the 21st Century people. There's lots of free linguistics stuff out there (just look at my own most excellent list of resources to the right). Everything is supposed to be free. Google said so, and I believe them. This goes for you too LDC with all that sweet delicious data locked up behind $$ signs. Now give me everything I want right now. To quote my hero:

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now
Don't care how
I want it now
Don't care how
I want it now

2 comments:

Jason M. Adams said...

I'll second that. I've experienced the same frustration. And every time I see somebody release their data "to the public" only to find out it's really housed by the extortionists at the LDC, I want to slap the bastards for lying to me. Public my ass when I'd have to pay $500 for it. Rant over. :)

Chris said...

here here

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...